Saturday, April 27, 2013

Silence Will Fall

Yays!! Everyone crack open something alcoholic in order to celebrate. As of an hour ago I have successfully completed my third year of university. I'm so relieved to be done, it is not even funny. These past few weeks---well this past month really---have turned me into a huge stress ball. But it is done now! So after this weekend break, I will be looking for a job. I've decided that I'm staying here for the summer, so I'll need to find a new job.

Now, that we have all that boring information out of the way, (just in case you guys care what is going on in my life) I can rant about what I really came to discuss. Impossible Astronaut Day.

If you know what I'm talking about, or at least know what the Impossible Astronaut is, you have just gained like a billion notches on my respect pole. But that is besides the point, Impossible Astronaut Day was Tuesday and I celebrated like the nerd girl that I am. It was really simple, actually, just drawing tally marks on your arms, and if you were really hardcore on your face. It was a simple shout out to all the other Whovians out there.

Now, I shall explain in proper English instead of nerd-speak. This was a day celebrating being a fan of an awesome British T.V. show called Doctor Who. Needless to say this show is freaking amazing, and is easily my favourite show of all time, although Sherlock does come in a close second. What can I say, I love me some BBC. But back to Impossible Astronaut Day. This was a day where all the Doctor Who nerds and fans could show their fandom together, which makes me giddy inside just thinking about. It was all over twitter, and I suppose facebook, although I was the only person who participated in my friend group, which was fairly disappointing because some of my friends are huge Doctor Who fans, I guess not as big as me though!

In case you are a Doctor Who fan (not Dr. Who---there is a special place in hell for people who write it that way) I won't give away the importance of the particular series of episodes that deal with these markings, which can be found that the end of Season 6 of the reboot. (the classic Doctor Who was entertaining, but none of the Doctors got my blood boiling, but David Tennant sure did, and I'll admit that Matt Smith is growing on me).

ANYWAYS, the episodes deal with a particular alien called The Silence. These aliens have a defense mechanism where the minute you stop looking at one of them, you forget they exist. In the show they are the bad guys (I won't get into why I hate them), and are trying to harm the Doctor and his companions. SO, in the genius that is the Doctor, they devise a method where every time you see the Silence you draw one tally mark on your arm. It becomes really creepy as the characters suddenly look at their arms and there are a bunch of tally marks on them, telling them that the Silence is all around them. *Shivers* it also doesn't help that the Silence are creepy looking bastards (picture below).

Anyways, I just had to talk about how cool it was that there was an organized Doctor Who day, and that I actually knew about it (i usually miss out on cool things like that because I live under a rock).  I hope I haven't really freaked out anyone with my nerdiness, but if I have I'm not sorry, as that is what you can expect when it comes to reading anything that I write about.

Doctor Who I love you. Especially the 10th Doctor.

SILENCE WILL FALL!!!

xoxox,
Becca

No comments:

Post a Comment